Monday, May 28, 2012

My miniature pumpkin patch






The weather is turning into a real summer.It was so hot yesterday, 92 degrees, that I wished I could be by a river or at the pool.As it is so nice outside I try to spend as much time as possible out of the house.I started my little vegetable garden with few tomato and cucumber plants,some herbs and onions.We also have several strawberry plants.Many times when I am outside tending to my garden my daughter will bring her Guinea pig Hurby and they will play in his little play pen and will keep me company. This year my daughter and I decided to experiment with growing our own pumpkins for Halloween.I had some pumpkin seeds saved from last year pumpkin decorating.We started the seedlings in a plastic container on top of some cotton.Remember that experiment you did when you were in elementary school?Watching the miracle of the seeds turning into small plants?Then I planted the little seedlings into the ground.You can see them in the first picture.Then something started eating my precious delicate pumpkin plants.I thought it was a pesky little baby bunny and double fenced the patch. On top of that I covered them with Pepsi bottles cut in half with the cap off,like a little personal green house for each plant.In the end it appeared that the culprits were the slugs who snacked on my plants.I don't know what I can do about them but so far my pumpkin plants are thriving growing their third and forth leaves.Let's cross our fingers and hope they will grow big and strong healthy plants that no slugs can defeat.

No comments: