Monday, April 14, 2008

There's no place like home

Finally we are back to our house.After seven months of living with relatives and in a FEMA trailer we moved back in on Saturday before Easter,March 23 .It feels wonderful to be home again.Everything on the first floor is brand new.I love my new kitchen with the new snack bar,beautiful cabinets and new appliances. The living room and the downstairs bedroom are pretty too.And I also got a small studio for my soul.It is a small closet with no windows but big enough for me and my art supplies. It is amazing how we sometimes get what we dream about but the hardest way.
Gradually we are going back to our usual way of life,our old routines and traditions.We still have a long way to go.The house is not completely fixed up,there is some exterior work to be done,siding ,windows on the second floor.And also the yard needs landscaping but my husband is working on it.
The watercolor sketch I'm posting today is not of my house.This house is a block away from mine waiting to be torn down.The owners of the house decided they did not want to fix it after the flood.And it is an usual sight in our neighbourhood. Many beautiful old houses got demolished because people could not afford to fix them.
I painted this piece using a reference photo from the fall two years ago.




No comments: