Monday, April 28, 2008

Exploring New Media

My interest in art took an unexpected turn.I have been challenged by my husband to do a painting in pastels.I said I could try and now I can't stop trying.
I have worked with pastels once before and although I enjoyed working with them I decided they were not for me because they were very messy and I did not have a studio at that time.And also there was the question how to preserve the paintings without smudging them .
Now as I learned more about the media and as I already have my little studio those problems don't bother me anymore. I just enjoy the process of painting.What I like about them is that they are a faster media and the process of painting with them combines drawing and painting.
My first attemt in pastels is 8x10 big on Strathmore pastel paper.The reference photo is from the Image Library of Wet Canvas.The soft pastels are Grumbascher and the hard ones are of an unknown brand.They are a heritage from my husband's grandmother.

No comments: