Saturday, July 27, 2013

Cold summer soup





Hi, guys, long time no see. You know how sometimes life throws at us little things, not big, just little ones but they take away all our time and energy. That was the situation with me. Now when I got my  time and brain back I started thinking about my next blog post. It is going to be a recipe that I have always wanted to share with you. It is so delicious , I am addicted to it!  It is a simple cold soup called TARATOR , a Bulgarian staple that screams "summer" and brings a lot of memories to every Bulgarian. I don't know why it reminds me about summer camps at the sea side ,about that happy and carefree time in my childhood when everything was a discovery and everything was about fun, lots of fun!
So, let's begin. You will need:

1 big or 2 smaller cucumbers finely chopped
2-3big cloves of garlic, crushed with some salt
3 tablespoons  of vegetable oil, olive oil is the best
2 cups of plain yogurt
2 cups of cold water
a small bunch of fresh dill
salt to taste
a handful of walnuts, chopped-this one is optional

In a big bowl combine crushed garlic, chopped cucumber, oil and yogurt and stir. Thin the mixture with the water and stir it again. Add the dill finely cut and the walnuts if you have some.
*Now if you like your soup creamy the ratio yogurt-water is2:2.If you prefer it more liquidy  the ratio can be 2 cups of yogurt:4 cups of water.
The soup tastes better after being refrigerated for at least one hour. You can keep it in the fridge for up to three days. It tastes even better on the next day. Enjoy and let me warn you something: it is addictive. So delicious!

No comments: