Friday, May 11, 2012

It is time for jumbleberry jam again




You don't agree?It is too early?No, it was the perfect time,last weekend.The prices of the strawberries went down and the frozen raspberries and blackberries were on sale in our grocery store.On top of that the weather was so nasty;rainy,cloudy and gloomy, that it called for some creating in the kitchen.I found this simple,fast and easy recipe for berry jam in the British edition of Country Living magazine last summer.To be exact it was the June issue of 2011.I tried it, loved it and made several batches of it.Kept it in the freezer,though because did not feel like wasting time on sterilising.Last year I promised to share the recipe with you but never did.Sorry about that.Now I am determined to do it and I hope you will like it too.Here we go:

Makes 1 kg/roughly about 2 1/2 lb/
1kg soft summer fruit like raspberries,blackberries,redcurrants or strawberries
juice of 2 lemons
1 kg preserving sugar/4 measuring cups/

1.Place the berries in a preserving pan with 150ml water and the lemon juice.Heat gently for 10 min.
2.stir in the sugar and dissolve over a low heat.
3.Bring to boil and bubble for 10-15 min. on a medium to high heat.After 10 min. test for a set by putting a teaspoon of the jam on a cold saucer.Leave for 1-2 min. then push the jam with your finger-it should wrinkle.If not continue boiling and testing every 5 min.
4.Turn off the heat and let it stand for 15 min.Pour jam into hot sterilised jars.

This time I made it with 1 lb strawberries,12oz frozen raspberries and 12oz frozen blackberries.Last year instead of blackberries I used blueberries and it was scruuuuumptious!I like to leave the jam runny so I can use it as syrup over my French toast and ice cream.

No comments: